Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Volunteers Make a Difference on Historic Island I Vow

A dedicated group of volunteers has helped protect both the natural environment and the remarkable history of Island I Vow, near the northern end of Loch Lomond.

On 24 August, Friends of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs joined forces with the Elanvow Preservation Fund for a special Make a Difference, or MAD, day. 

The volunteers travelled to the island, situated opposite the Loch Sloy hydroelectric power station, to tackle non-native invasive plant species which were disrupting its natural ecosystem.

Removing invasive vegetation can give native plants a better opportunity to thrive while helping to protect the wider variety of wildlife which depends upon them. However, conservation work on Island I Vow must be undertaken with particular care because it is also an important archaeological site.

Archaeologist Fiona Baker was present to explain the island’s history and advise volunteers on how the work should be completed without damaging its historical integrity.

Island I Vow, also known as Elanvow or Ellan Vhow, contains the remains of a castle built in 1577 by Andrew Macfarlane, 11th Chief of Clan Macfarlane. Following his support for the future King James VI of Scotland and I of England at the Battle of Langside, Andrew was awarded a new crest and motto.

The crest showed a demi-savage holding a sheaf of arrows in one hand while pointing towards the royal crown with the other. This gave Clan Macfarlane its famous motto: “This I’ll Defend.”

King James is said to have later visited the island, a connection remembered in the Scottish proverb concerning “Macfarlane’s Geese”. 

Island I Vow became the seat of Clan Macfarlane after Inveruglas was burned by forces loyal to Oliver Cromwell during the mid-17th century. It remained the clan’s seat through the end of that century.

John Urquhart, chairman of Friends of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, described the MAD day as another “huge success” for the charity. He also paid tribute to project officer Lloyd Weir, for whom the event was his final duty before leaving to explore new career opportunities abroad. Blair Wilson-Scott will replace him and help lead the charity’s work within the National Park.

Thanks were also given to the Ardlui Hotel for providing packed lunches and use of its marina, and to Loch Lomond Leisure for supplying a boat and skipper at a heavily reduced rate.

The Elanvow Preservation Fund works to study, preserve and maintain the island’s 16th-century castle, buildings and archaeological remains, alongside other sites connected with Clan Macfarlane.

https://www.lochlomondtrossachs.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment